Monday, April 4, 2011

10 tips on how to survive a shopping trip to IKEA

My mom came to visit me this past Sunday and she mentioned that she would like to take a trip to IKEA.
I immediately felt anxious and overwhelmed. It's not that I don't like to shop, or spend time with my mom, I just find the experience a little too extreme. So I thought that I would make a list of tips that would help make the IKEA experience more enjoyable. 

1. Don't go hungry. Healthy blood sugar is essential to making healthy decisions. While those Cinnamon buns smell great, in about 20 you're gonna crash like the stock market in the twenties. Bring a apple or some granola. 
2. Bring your own shopping bag. IKEA is a European company so they don't give away plastic bags that clog our landfills and get trapped in trees. Can you imaging having trash stuck in your hair?
3. Do your homework. Go online, shop the catalog and bring key measurements. I am super proud of you Mom for doing this without me suggesting it!
4. Do not go with more than one person. There are way too many people aimlessly milling about the store to begin with. And please get a babysitter or at least bring your kids to that kid jail they pretend is fun and sanitary.
5. Take Airborne! There are ALOT of people who touch things and unfortunately not all of them wash their hands.
6. Get there early. 
7. Bring a stress ball or flask. You will get bumped, cut off, and rammed into. Just take a nip and push through it.
8. Prepare yourself for disappointment. Chances are there is a part or part that is not in stock. Its part the the IKEA ritual. And if you have to return something see rule number 6.
9. Know your cars/transport capacity. This is crucial. Nobody likes to sleep on a mattress that has road burns.
10. Stop and edit what is in your bag, in your cart, or in your hands. Chances are you don't need it, and if you do, remember there is a reason why it is so inexpensive.



I had a great time Mom!
JWS


1 comment:

  1. HA! I LOVE THIS!!!! I usually go right up the "return" elevator, and into the marketplace or warehouse! I skip over the showroom entirely!!! I once made it in, (i went late at night. half hour before closing) returned something, bought something else...In TWELVE MINUTES!!!!! I've never been so proud of myself!!!!

    ReplyDelete